On September 20th, the DC Council Committee on Human Services will vote on whether to move forward Mayor Bowser’s bill, the Homeless Services Reform Amendment Act of 2017. We oppose this bill. Please contact the members of the Committee on Human Services, and tell them to VOTE NO.
Why take action?
In the midst of DC’s affordable housing crisis, this bill…
- Defines people out of eligibility for housing, emergency rental assistance and homeless services.
- Demands that homeless families and youth overcome unreasonable bureaucratic barriers to get emergency shelter on freezing nights.
- Puts the health and safety of DC residents at risk, particularly youth and children.
- Greatly expands the power of shelter and housing providers to put people out.
… and does NOTHING to actually end homelessness.
What can you do?
- Email! Become part of this “one-click” email action! https://actionnetwork.org/letters/vote-no-on-homeless-services-reform-amendment-act-of-2017?source=direct_link& You can also just use the email addresses below to share your concerns.
- Call! Call the Committee members (numbers below)
- Tweet! Tweet your concerns about this bill. We’re using the hashtag #VoteNoHSRABill. Tweet at the Committee members! (@BrianneKNadeau, @CMBrandonTodd, @trayonwhite, @RobertWhite_DC, @cmdgrosso)
#VoteNoHSRABill… The bill does nothing to end homelessness. Affordable housing ends homelessness, not defining people out of services.
#VoteNoHSRABill… DC must not require families/kids to sleep outside on freezing nights while they get paperwork to show they live in DC.
#VoteNoHSRABill… DC mustn’t cut off RRH families w/o adequate services, referrals & assessment of whether family can pay rent #EndTheCliff
|Council Member||Phone||Twitter handle|