“It don’t matter how we dress, where we live, what neighborhood we’re from. Use, use your voice. Use your voice because someone will hear you. That’s all.”
~T.S., Legal Clinic client
Voice by voice, help us build a chorus of community members who will speak out for justice. Advocating together, we will be heard!
- Read our Action Alerts.
- Subscribe to our blog and newsletter or friend us on Facebook to stay in the loop.
- Register to vote in DC
Contact a DC Decisionmaker
Local elected and appointed officials need to hear from community members about their priorities and concerns. Don’t be shy; the government works for you! Speak out. Use your voice.
- Register to vote in DC
- Contact Your Councilmember
- DC Council Website
- DC Council Committees
- Contact a DC agency director
- DC Housing Authority (DCHA) Board of Commissioners meetings
- DC Interagency Council on Homelessness (ICH)
- ICH Scheduled Meetings
- Shelter Monitoring
- DC Office of Disability Rights (ODR)
If you have questions or concerns about any of these issues, or have suggestions about issues you’d like to see the Legal Clinic address, please contact the designated staff member or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Client Rights – Caitlin
- Criminalization of Homelessness – Ann Marie
- Disability Rights – Amber
- Family Shelter – Max
- Hypothermia – Akela
- Preservation of Affordable Housing – Will
- SSI/SSDI and Interim Disability Assistance – Scott
- Subsidized Housing – Will
- Welfare – Becky
Join one of our partner coalitions; bringing many and varied voices together turns up the volume!
It is through the budget process that the Mayor and DC Council set priorities for spending the District’s revenues. It is vital that community members weigh in about how these resources will be used.
- DC Fair Budget Coalition (FBC) advocates for budget and public policy initiatives that address poverty and human needs in the District of Columbia.
- DC Fiscal Policy Institute (DCFPI) conducts research and public education on budget and tax issues in the District of Columbia, with a particular emphasis on issues that affect low- and moderate-income residents.
- DCFPI Budget Toolkit Click the “Budget Toolkit” tab during budget season.
- DC Council Budget Click the “Budget” tab on the DC Council website during budget season.
One of the best ways to use your voice is to testify at a DC Council hearing. The Council, through its committees, holds hearings on proposed legislation and budget recommendations, and it holds oversight hearings to see how well the Administration is performing its duties. The Council also holds hearings and public roundtables to explore various issues and policy proposals. The public has the opportunity to participate in these hearings and roundtables as a witness, or watch them in person at the John A. Wilson Building or streamed live or on DC cable.
Many of our colleagues and advocacy partners regularly blog about the policy, program and budget decisions that impact DC residents who are homeless. You can check out their posts at the links below.
- Bread for the City’s Blog
- The District’s Dime (DC Fiscal Policy Institute)
- Fair Budget Coalition’s Blog
- The Playtime Project Resource Center (volunteers of the Homeless Children’s Playtime Project)
- Making Justice Real (Legal Aid Society of DC)
- National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty
- Poverty and Policy (Katherine Baer, policy research and communications consultant)