“I was being kicked out of a shelter. The first time around the Legal Clinic helped me secure my bed. The second time around she [Legal Clinic attorney] said ‘this is not right, I’m going to tell you what’s going on.’ Services I could qualify for and she set out and try to get them for me. And she also told me about some legal stuff, the rights of a human being. Basic human rights. She got me connected, introduced me to Mary Ann Luby [Legal Clinic advocate]. That’s when things started moving for me …”
~J.N., Legal Clinic client
Please contact us at 202-328-5500 to find out about our intake schedule.
Information is power.
Click on the links below to access important information about your rights. If you think your rights have been violated, contact the Legal Clinic at (202) 328-5500 to find out how to connect with an attorney.
Do any of these situations sound familiar to you?
- You’re staying in a shelter and trying to get your life together, but some of the rules, like having to be there early each day to reserve a bed, are interfering with your job.
- You’re having trouble getting documents and now the Housing Authority is threatening to stop your rent assistance.
- Even though you are not blocking a sidewalk, the police repeatedly ask you to move on or threaten to arrest you.
- You went to the hospital or doctor because you needed medical attention and now your medical bills are far too high to pay.
- You applied for Social Security disability benefits but your claim was denied.
These are just a few of the scenarios the Legal Clinic deals with on a regular basis. Although we can’t help with every kind of legal problem (for example, we do not represent people in criminal cases or cases where you are just seeking an award of money), we’re happy to speak with anyone who is caught in, or hopes to avoid, the web of homelessness.
Contact us at 202-328-5500 to find out about the next available intake session!
Do you believe that the people should have a say in how money is spent in DC? Are you tired of walls or hurdles? Are you interested in gaining control over how land is used in your community? Are you tired of joining actions that you have no voice in creating? Less talk, do more. Join People Power Action!
People Power Action holds meetings on the last Tuesday of the month. Transportation tokens and food are provided, and children are welcome! To learn more, contact Kristi Matthews, Grassroots Advocacy Coordinator at 202-328-1262 or Kristi@legalclinic.org.
In addition to connecting with People Power Action, there are many different ways for you to use your voice to help improve DC’s programs and services – you can get additional information on our Advocate page.
To learn more about who our City Leaders are and how you can contact them to advocate for the change you want to see, please click here.